What we offer
Experience working with an international team at the forefront of social design. We’re an international team of designers, doers and social scientists, working with developers, researchers and filmmakers. You’ll get exposure: our work features in design journals and at conferences, and so will yours.
See your work and it’s impact in the real world. A big part of our work is testing directly with ‘real’ users — people with disabilities, their families, and newcomers to Canada. You won’t be designing in a black box: you’ll understand the context and intent of what you’re making, get heaps of feedback, and watch as what you make actually gets used by people.
Contribute to something bigger than you — and more meaningful than profit. You’ll work across our portfolio of prototypes and start-ups — in particular supporting Real Talk and Kudoz to grow and effect more people. Real Talk sparks honest conversations about sex, love, dating and relationships with homemade videos and watching parties. Kudoz is an adult learning platform bringing adults with and without disabilities together around shared curiosities and passions.
Receive an honorarium and Compass Card. We’ll reimburse you for transit, and offer a monthly honorarium. We cap our fellowships at three-months, and check-in once a month to make sure you’re hitting your learning goals.
What you'll do as a Fellow
- Set your own learning goals — and get mentorship from our network of UX designers, graphic designers, service designers, and industrial designers.
- Develop research plans and tools — going out into community to learn how our users interact with technology, including our existing websites and apps
- Create mock-ups and wireframes — wireframes, storyboards, user flows, process flows and site maps to bring to life new kinds of user interactions
- Test concepts in context — observe how users engage with your rapid prototypes, and iterate based on feedback.
- Find and deploy off-the-shelf solutions — look for and go after opportunities to streamline what we do and how we work, including introducing better analytic tools, etc.
- Implement designs — help us turn concepts into working code and ‘good enough’ interfaces.
How to apply?
Simple! Send us your resume and portfolio, and tell us what excites you most about the opportunity to firstname.lastname@example.org